What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

9/26
Sonnets From Other Lives: Zero

You can call me Zero--as in nothin
& while you're at it drop a dollar in my paw.
Bet you hate the way that I just butt in.
on your complacency. There oughta be a law!
Would you be shocked to know I'm just 15
& living on the streets--a gutter punk?
Or that home is where the stepdad gets all  mean
& beats on me whenever he gets drunk?
Well I can eat three squares out of the dumpsters
& my posse keeps the pimps off of my ass.
People give me crap.  I take my lumps--sure
& I've been known to stoop to huffing gas.
But if you don't like it piss off & be gone
'Cos I'm the fucked up & forgotten face of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment