What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

9/14
Sonnets From Other Lives: Rick

You're absolutely right. I am a leech.
It's my job to make your life a living hell.
But then I'm only here because you've reached
the apex. You're a brand--a thing that sells.
When magazines print only your first name
the consumer  knows that they refer you,
and covets false proximity to fame
by knowing all there is to know of you.
Then my telephoto shoots your cellulite.
My flash intrudes on your illicit meal.
I expose your face sans make-up because I
despise the arrogance of the unreal.
We rain lucre on you to be fabulous,
but you're just a gilded version of the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment