What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

9/19
Sonnets From Other Lives: Coyote

You see me.  Like a shadow in the fog
I run across the beam of your headlights.
What incongruity! A wild dog
inhabits your suburban paradise!
I would sing for you, but I know well
the loathing my survival can incite
in those who would bend nature to their will,
so I run--silent--through the night.
You changed my world but  I can live in yours--
invisible--adaptable.  Know that
I rule the night outside your doors--
preying on your trash and fatted cats.
You see me & you feel that thrill of fear
that something wild as me still exists here.

No comments:

Post a Comment