What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

9/18
Sonnets from Other Lives: Carole

The girls & I are watching Sleeping Beauty.
The Princess dreams behind her wall of thorns.
My own Prince in Iraq--this tour of duty--
his third deployment since the kids were born.
We meet each week on Skype--proclaim our love.
He manfully disdains the pains of war .
(O Disney save me from the terror of
men in uniform at my front door.)
The last reunion scarred. He never spoke
about the ghosts that shared our bed at night.
Then there were the times when I awoke
to find him drinking hollow-faced by TV light.
The fairy tale ends.  I want to know
who will it be this time that comes home?

No comments:

Post a Comment