What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Friday, December 24, 2010

12/24
Song


Ebeneezer Scrooge got his
& sometimes I get mine--
a rush to the heart that hits
right around Christmas time.

Could be the Ghost of Christmas past
whispering a line
from a Christmas carol.
It's a wonderful life.

December twenty fourth
reckon where I'll be
playing those sweet old songs
to a Christmas tree.

So come all ye faithful
& deck the halls
with the holly & the ivy
& silver bells.
I wonder as I wander
on a midnight clear
at all we do to bring light to
the darkest time of the year.

1 comment:

  1. Wrote this on Christmas Eve a few years ago.
    After the first verse I hit a wall until I tried stringing titles of carols into a kind of sense.

    ReplyDelete