What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

219
Sonnets From Other Lives: Rudy

When I was a kid at Christmastime
I was a junkie for The Christmas Spirit.
I’d lie under the tree as Silent Night
played on the stereo. I had to hear it
every Christmas Eve just before bed.
I’d lay longing like a soldier overseas
for a Christmas Past or something that I’d read,
about somewhere or more likely seen
on those Christmas Special television shows.
Now, lurching through these crowded big box stores
with their atrocious Christmas Muzak, I don’t know—
I’m not feeling it. It doesn’t work for me.
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment