What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

11
Sonnets From Other Lives: Bunny


The Queen reclines in her hospital bed--
the proverbial elephant in the living room
crowding the atmosphere with things unsaid
& a too awkward proximity to doom.
When my world was all carpools, PTA,
the battlefields of marriage—raising kids,
who knew cancer would melt all that away
& leave a sense that everything I did
followed a script? I met my engineer
right out of high school. Married. Pregnant. Plopped
into a ranch house. He had his career
& I had children. How did that stop
time? How is it that now I feel I
stood rooted while the whole wide world flew by?

No comments:

Post a Comment