What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Monday, November 8, 2010

11/8
Sonnets From Other Lives: Hope



Everybody says—What were you thinking?
As if thinking was in any way involved.
My excuse of course was we were drinking,
but there was a much more primal force involved:
The organism’s urge to replicate.

I’d told myself I’m not the kind of girl
who carries around condoms on a date,
& for that I’ve got the wages of my sin
growing in my sorry uterus.
What made me think that I would not give in
to the atavistic voice of human lust?
For all my meditations on the soul,
I never gave a thought to birth control.

No comments:

Post a Comment