What it is

June 2010: In a desperate attempt to stave off senility, the monkey began writing a poem a day. By summer's end he'd begun to run out of versified political rants and philosophical bloviations. Then he hit on the improbable idea of writing micro fiction in the form of Elizabethan sonnets. Eureka. The birth of the "Sonnets From Other Lives" series. Two hundred plus lives later, he's still at it.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

10/6
Sonnets From Other Lives: Zack

Hi, I'm Zack.  I made this video
for the It Gets Better Project 'cause
being gay in high school's tough, I know.
But take heart.  Your life is not a total loss.
I came came from a small town in Idaho.
They started calling me a faggot in fifth grade.
I've been punched, slammed into lockers, so I know
how hard it is.  But I survived and made
it out of there & now my life is great.
See if you kill yourself you've let the bullies win,
& the good part of your life is worth the wait
'cause being fabulous is so the best revenge.
Stick it out.  Four years is not that long.
I does get better.  Trust me.  You stay strong.

1 comment:

  1. I read about the It Gets Better Project in Dan Savage's column in this week's Stranger--Older gay people who wished that an older gay person talked to them when they were being tortured in high school are making videos on YouTube to reassure kids that It Get's Better. Here's hoping it helps reduce the appalling suicide rate of gay teenagers.

    ReplyDelete